Current Disaster Response
UMCOR and its partners are responding to disasters in the United States every day. Please join us in prayer for the affected areas and consider giving to UMCOR U.S. Disaster Response to support these efforts. View our “Active Response Map” below, and check for live updates on how you can assist beyond financial giving.
Severe weather and tornadoes in southeastern United States
In Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Georgia, disaster preparedness training equipped conferences and churches to respond to disaster effectively. ERTs and relief supply distribution are on standby as assessments are made.
Severe weather in the Midwest
The United Methodist Committee on Relief is in close connection with the annual conferences responding to severe weather in the midwestern United States.
The Great Plains Conference was awarded a $10,000 solidarity grant and we are beginning assessments on how to best support relief efforts as they develop.
Assessments are ongoing in the Iowa conference and we are supporting them with Emergency Response Team “Train the Trainer” courses.
Once weather permits, assessments will begin in the Dakotas, Wisconsin and Mountain Sky conferences. We await reports from other partners as they work with other district and state response teams. As we receive more information we will provide updates here and on our social media channels.
Continued response efforts in the Southeast
Meanwhile, recovery efforts in the Alabama-West Florida Conference continue after the March 3 tornado outbreak. In Lee County alone volunteers are assisting by providing pastoral care, overnight shelters, food supplies and financial support. UMCOR sent a trailer of supplies and issued a $10,000 solidarity grant immediately after the storm. We continue to provide supplies as requested by the district Disaster Response Coordinator.
Please continue to pray for those affected by the storms, consider a donation to UMCOR U.S. Disaster Response and visit the conference website to volunteer your time. (Because response time rapidly changes, please check this site before sending a group to assist.)
- UMCOR has awarded a solidarity grant of $10,000 to the Mississippi Conference and Alabama-West Florida Conference as they actively engage early response teams to clean up following a tornado and flooding. Those wishing to support can give to the UMCOR US Disaster Response.
- UMCOR has deployed personnel to support the Tennessee Conference as they assess damage from the same storm system and consider their response.
- Alaska Conference received a solidarity grant of $10,000 following an earthquake on Nov. 30, 2018. UMCOR has responded to requests for training and other support.
- Reports of mandatory evacuations are coming in from the California-Nevada Conference, which has requested UMCOR support.
- UMCOR awarded $100,000 to the Ecumenical Seminary of Puerto Rico to repair disaster-caused damage to residential housing for students and faculty.
- Pacific Northwest Conference received a solidarity grant of $10,000 to provide relief services and cleanup on behalf of those affected by a tornado.