Advent and Christmas Resources
Advent, the beginning of the church year, starts on the fourth Sunday before Christmas. It is a time of preparation, anticipation, and hope.
Global Ministries is collaborating with other United Methodist Agencies in directing individuals and congregations to Advent and Christmas worship resources.
A selection of materials for Advent Wreath Liturgies and Christmas observances is available online at:
Discipleship Resources offers an Advent liturgy for 2017 at:
Information on the history of the Advent wreath and instructions on making one are at:
Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, the "Light of the World." Epiphany, also called "Three Kings Day," is the climax of the Christmas season for Protestants.
2017-2018 Dates for Advent, Christmas and Epiphany:
- 1st Sunday of Advent December 3, 2017
- 2nd Sunday of Advent December 10, 2017
- 3rd Sunday of Advent December 17, 2017
- 4th Sunday of Advent December 24, 2017
- Christmas Eve December 24, 2017
- Christmas Day December 25, 2017
- Epiphany January 6, 2018
Several years of back copies (2009 thru 2016) of global Advent Wreath Liturgies from Global Ministries can be accessed below.
Liturgies and Music:
- Advent Wreath Lighting Liturgies, updated annually, include ideas for making an Advent wreath, devotions from missionaries and Global Ministries staff, song choices, and musical arrangements. Each article includes downloadable Advent Devotions for each Sunday in Advent and for Christmas Eve.
Advent Wreath Lighting Liturgy 2016
Advent Wreath Lighting Liturgy 2015
Explore and make use of these previous annual liturgies:
Advent Wreath Lighting Liturgy 2014 (Year B)
Advent Wreath Lighting Liturgy 2013 (Year A)
Advent Wreath Lighting Liturgy 2012 (Year C)
Advent Wreath Lighting Liturgy 2011 (Year B)
Advent Wreath Lighting Liturgy 2010 (Year A)
Advent Wreath Lighting Liturgy 2009 (Year C)
- For Christmas, read "Sing the World Round at Christmas" for more global song choices including the French song "Glorie à Dieu" and a song in a language spoken in southern Mozambique.
Christmas Around the World
Songs from many countries in nine languages and delightful rhythms,melodies, harmonies, and texts celebrating the advent and birth ofChrist, performed by the Robert DeCormier Singers.