Resources for #GivingTuesday
As a passionate disciple of Jesus Christ, your participation is vital to living out God’s mission through The United Methodist Church. Every day you are activating love, transforming lives, and changing the world through your prayers, presence, gifts, and service.
On Dec. 1, you are invited to come together with thousands of United Methodists to support the work of Advance projects and missionaries on UMC #GivingTuesday. And every gift made online through The Advance at www.umcmission.org/give on Dec. 1, 2015 will be matched up to $1 million.*
Please use the following resources in whatever ways work best for you. We would love to hear about creative ways that you are raising awareness and money for mission — especially what you are planning for UMC #GivingTuesday. Thank you for your passion as we live out God’s mission together. Should you have any questions about UMC #GivingTuesday, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
10 Ways You Can Get Involved:
- Identify projects and/or missionaries to support. Invite youth or others in your network to research and present information about the importance of this mission focus.
- Donate time, whisper a prayer, or create a non-financial way to support the missionary or project to supplement your financial gift.
- Build teams to find creative ways to raise awareness and funds. Consider including other churches in your area. To build a team:
A. Register your team at www.umcmission.org/gtteam.
B. Determine how you will raise funds and awareness.
C. Run your campaign/make your promise.
D. Give online on Dec. 1.
- Include banners and other promotion on your website and newsletters.
- Insert a flier into your church bulletin and integrate stories of Advance projects and missionaries into meetings or sermons leading up to Dec. 1. Take time for a mission moment during Sunday worship. Give children boxes to collect money and get them excited about the project or missionary they are supporting.
- Raise awareness about UMC #GivingTuesday through your annual conference social media networks. Share posts from UMCmission and help promote the campaign with messages such as:
Take a “selfless selfie” holding a sign with a UMC #GivingTuesday graphic that says, “On UMC #GivingTuesday I’m activating love and transforming lives. Please join me by supporting ________________ [insert project/missionary name] Dec. 1 www.umcmission.org/give.” Post these selfless selfies on social media and your website.
Post a graphic from the resource page (www.umcmission.org/giving-tuesday) and encourage people to upload a selfless selfie using one of the graphics.
Ask friends and family to make an early Christmas gift in your honor to your favorite Advance project or missionary on Dec. 1. Or make a gift in honor of those on your Christmas list. Do you still want to present a wrapped gift? Consider these options:
- Love Activated. Lives Transformed. World Changed.
UMC #GivingTuesday 12/1 umcmission.org/give
- Perfect antidote to overspending on #BlackFriday?
UMC #GivingTuesday coming on Dec. 1! umcmission.org/give
- Think one day of giving thanks isn't enough? Get ready for
UMC #GivingTuesday. Dec. 1 umcmission.org/give
Send an email such as this one to your community network:
- Accompany the notification with a token representation of the designated ministry (a framed map of the region, a water bottle for a water project, a hammer for a construction project, etc.).
- Design or purchase a card that reflects the theme of the ministry or a photo of the missionary.
Dear Sisters and Brothers in Christ:
As we approach the holiday-giving season, UMC #GivingTuesday is an opportunity to celebrate the spirit of cheerful Christian giving by making a donation through The Advance.
On Dec. 1, United Methodists once again are invited to extend the spirit of giving thanks into the Advent season by participating in UMC #GivingTuesday. Every gift made online through The Advance at www.umcmission.org/give on Dec. 1, 2015 will be matched up to $1 million.*
When you make an online donation on Dec. 1, you will “Activate Love. Transform Lives. Change the World.” Last year on UMC #GivingTuesday, United Methodists collectively raised $2.5 million online through The Advance. As always, when you give through The Advance, 100 percent of your gift directly supports the ministry you designate; overhead costs are covered through other channels.
As you may know, this missionary/Advance project is especially close to my heart (explain why).
[Missionary name/project name with link to Advance giving page]
Please consider joining me by putting love in action to change lives by making a generous gift on Dec. 1. Thank you so much!
Grace and peace,
[Signed by Pastor or Mission Leader]
Love in action transforms lives! When you donate through The Advance on Dec. 1, UMC #GivingTuesday, your gift could be matched up to $1 million.*
* Global Ministries will allocate matching funds dollar for dollar up to the first $1 million in gifts to Advance projects received online on Dec. 1, 2015, between 12:00 a.m. and 11:59 p.m. CT. A maximum of $2,500 per individual gift to a project will be dispersed as matching funds. A project may receive a maximum of $25,000 in matching funds.