You don't have to be a big church to host a Mission Celebration.
A Mission Celebration is an event planned by local church leaders and resourced by missionaries and General Board of Global Ministries staff, which provides a variety of activities and learning opportunities to meet local church members where they are and challenge them to reflect, learn, and engage in missions locally and around the world.
- To inspire and energize local church members to get involved in mission both locally and globally;
- To provide the foundation of our United Methodist theology of mission and evangelism;
- To educate local leaders about practical strategies to lead their churches in mission work that empowers, celebrates, and shares God’s love with all;
- To invite the local church to be in mission through prayerful and pledged financial support.
- Keynote speakers;
- Conversations with congregations and leaders around the world—connecting with the global church via new technology;
- Missionaries (including young adult missionaries) sharing about their ministry;
- Hands-on mission activities (e.g., assembling health kits) that involve people of all ages;
- Workshops (See ideas below) that train mission teams and individuals in areas including: worship, developing partnerships, evangelism, intercultural communication, children’s ministry, and music in mission, as well as targeted training about the geographical areas where our denomination is involved in ministry;
- Information on opportunities to be involved in local missions;
- Opportunities for churches to make a financial commitment to mission through Global Ministries.
Workshop ideas: (for potential workshop facilitators, contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Global Ministries work
- Missionary sharing about his/her work
- Youth and young adults in mission
- SPSARV – UMC Addiction program
- Children's Ministry & Mission
- Christ & Culture in Africa
- Annual conference specific overseas projects
- 50/50 Mission Partnership – In Mission Together: Asset-based, Long Term Development
- Evangelism & Mission
- Mission as a Way to Bridge Church & Community
- Embracing Young Adults in Your Community
- Mission Leader Training
- Missionaries for the 21st Century
- Reaching "All Nations" - Multicultural Ministry
- Muslims, Christians, and Jesus
- Singing God's Song: From Everywhere to Everywhere
- Developing Ethnic/Culture specific ministry in the US
Global Ministries will empower you to plan and facilitate a Mission
Celebration for your congregation by providing you with the necessary
Rev. Daniel Topalski is Skyping from a partner church in Bulgaria as part of Trinity on the Hill United Methodist Church's outreach celebration. February 2-3, 2013. Augusta, Georgia.
Photo: Debi Tyree
Rev. Nora Colmenares