Because of the situation in Liberia, and many of the UM schools were in need of repair, most did not have a functioning library, and some youth were not able to go to school because they did not have the funds. Bishop Kulah asked if we could partner with the conference and help them to upgrade their secondary schools.
Since then we have constructed seven new buildings, renovated ten school buildings, conducted three teachers seminars, sent a number of teachers to college, trained teachers and pastors in basic counseling, provided over 500 scholarships each year since 2001, and provided hundreds of boxes of books and school supplies. We have also assisted two schools to begin projects to become more self-sustainable. In addition we built a refugee school and purchased ground for a second school.
Goals & Objectives
1. To provide 100 scholarships for each OC partner school.
2. To develop a sustainable vocational program.
3. To send teachers to college.
4. To provide school supplies and equipment for the schools.
5. To provide a salary and expenses for a country coordinator.
6. To assist the schools in teaching the doctrine of the UM church.
7. To provide VIM with an overseas experience.
8. To renovate or construct new buildings.
9. To help each school become self-sustainable.
1. Work through the country coordinator and department of education of the UM Church.
2. Make an annual on-site visit to the schools and hold a retreat for the principals.
3. Provide school supplies.
4. Train some youth in peace building.
5. Complete the present renovation schedule.
6. Assist the schools in the needed vocational equipment.
7. Find the needed funds to meet these needs.