Advent and Christmas Resources
Advent, the beginning of the church year, starts on the fourth Sunday before Christmas. It is a time of preparation, anticipation, and hope.
Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, the "Light of the World." Epiphany, also called "Three Kings Day," is the climax of the Christmas season for Protestants.
2013-2014 Dates for Advent, Christmas and Epiphany:
- 1st Sunday of Advent December 1, 2013
- 2nd Sunday of Advent December 8, 2013
- 3rd Sunday of Advent December 15, 2013
- 4th Sunday of Advent December 22, 2013
- Christmas Eve Tuesday, December 24, 2013
- Christmas Day December 25, 2013
- Epiphany January 6, 2014
Liturgies and Music:
- Advent Wreath Lighting Liturgies, updated annually, include ideas for making an Advent wreath, devotions from missionaries and Global Ministries staff, song choices, and musical arrangements. Each article includes downloadable Advent Devotions for each Sunday in Advent and for Christmas Eve.
Advent Wreath Lighting Liturgy, Year C, 2012
Advent Wreath Lighting Liturgy (Year B, 2011)
Advent Wreath Lighting Liturgy (Year A, 2010)
- Explore and make use of these previous annual liturgies:
Advent Wreath Lighting Liturgy (Year C, 2009)
- For Christmas, read "Sing the World Round at Christmas" for more global song choices including the French song "Glorie à Dieu" and a song in a language spoken in southern Mozambique.
Christmas Around the World
Songs from many countries in nine languages and delightful rhythms,melodies, harmonies, and texts celebrating the advent and birth ofChrist, performed by the Robert DeCormier Singers.